Saturday, 9 August 2014

Latest news...

A lot has happened since my last post. Things got a bit hectic at the start of the year, so we decided to take some time in Australia to visit my family. The Little Sausage finally got to see her grandparents and younger aunt and I got to cure that bout of homesickness that just wouldn't go away. A win-win in my books! So we spent about 4 months in Australia. It was nice to be home but also a little scary. Nothing had changed in the 8 years I'd been gone! Life went on but Canberra is still just as it was when I left the first time. Apart from leaving my family behind, I was glad to return to Europe.

So, where in the world are we now? For a long time now, we wanted to return to Strasbourg, as we had lived there briefly while I was pregnant with the Little Sausage. We moved away only due to necessity and whilst we enjoyed living in all the other cities since then, we knew that we wanted to return to Strasbourg to live one day. So here we are. Strasbourg: Capital of Alsace; home of choucroute, kougelhopf, and flamekueche; and super magical Christmas land. We have settled in to an AMAZING city-centre apartment, that we found out is from the 1500s! It has plenty of character (i.e. the walls are not straight and the floor slants downwards!) and it has the most amazing view of the cathedral. The only downsize is the noise at night. 1:30am seems to be a very popular time for bars to close and hence all those drunk/tipsy people walking home... we are trying to find a long-term solution to blocking out some of the noise. For now, I sleep with a pillow over my head.

We arrived here in Strasbourg at the beginning of summer and it's been a mixture of warm, sometimes hot, and mostly humid and rainy weather - not something I'm used to from summers back home! I am still adjusting to having so much rain in summer, as well as day-to-day temperature fluctuations. My French has plateaued and while I can get by easily ordering food, buying things, or most little everyday tasks - the big stuff still eludes me. I'm looking into joining a language exchange group just so I can move things forward because it's getting a bit old being given the pity look every time I try to say something out of my comfort zone.

I'm posting a daily regularly on Instagram (@kangaroo_sweet) so you can join me there to see that daily goings on...

Meanwhile, here are some highlights to bring you up to date!







No comments:

Post a Comment