Friday, 7 December 2012

Breakfast at Recipease Notting Hill

Photo credit: Nadja Eggers
This week I zoomed off to London for a couple of days to visit my lovely sister. Although we don't catch up (in person) all that often, when we do we make a beeline for Recipease - whether that be in Brighton (when we lived there), Clapham Junction (which is closer to her) or now the new Notting Hill store. This time was no different, and after meeting me at St. Pancras station, we made it there for our ritual breakfast. I had my usual The Works breakfast (£9.95), described as: 
Bath Pig chorizo sausage, outdoor-reared pork & leek sausage, outdoor-reared streaky bacon, free-range poached egg, wood fired oven roast tomato, Recipease baked beans, potato tortilla, spinach & toast.
I'm not the biggest fan of chorizo, so I asked (as I always do) for a second pork sausage which was again accommodated with no problem at all. The spinach under the poached egg was soggy and insipid. Adding salt made no difference. Not a big fan of that new addition. The Works in Brighton never had spinach on the plate and had scrambled eggs instead of poached, which doesn't make a difference to me - they're both good. The thick-cut bacon and the pork and leek sausage were fantastic as ever. I'm quite a fan of their coffee and the Mocha I had was good and strong.

The new store is huge (on two levels), spacious and choc-a-block full of their signature products. The restaurant and seating area upstairs is funky and comfortable to spend time in. I still prefer the coziness of the Brighton store the best, probably for sentimental reasons, but I definitely like the friendliness of the staff in the Notting Hill store even more. Each staff member was bubbly and genuinely helpful. Brighton's staff, not always so much. The café was full of people but there was plenty of space so it didn't feel crowded. 

The bathrooms, always an interest of mine when it comes to restaurant design and hygiene, were clean and really nicely furbished. Didn't like the noisy hand dryers though! But since when does someone recommend/reject an establishment based on the volume of its bathroom appliances? 

The store downstairs was full of their usual goods but a bigger variety than at the other smaller locations. What I had come for, other than the breakfast, was to stock up on Jamie's ketchup, BBQ sauce, and a jar of toffee sauce. Although the BBQ sauce was in stock, none of the others were on display. Sad. There were plenty of things to put on my Christmas List (you hear that, family of mine?) but alas, no purchases this time for me.

All in all: good food, good coffee, friendly staff, a great atmosphere, and plenty of handmade kitchen things to drool over. I'll be going back next time I'm in London (and hopefully the sauces I love will be in stock when I do).



92-94 Notting Hill Gate
London W11 3QB


Opening hours
Mon - Fri 7.30am - 9.00pm
Saturday 7.30am - 9.00pm 
Sunday 8.00am - 7.00pm


*As always, this is a totally unsponsored review and entirely paid for out of my own pocket. This branch of Recipease had no idea I was coming, let alone any idea of who I even am. The opinion is completely my own.*

No comments:

Post a Comment