Sunday, 15 April 2012

What to do with myself

We have decided that this is the year we turn our life around. I have been very down of late and I can't help to think of all the things I have missed by being an expat.

If I were still at "home", I would have finished my studies sooner. I would very likely have a kickass job and probably live in Melbourne or Sydney. That's as far as I daydream. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have changed it for the world. But "career-wise" I've taken quite a bit of a detour (off a cliff!).

There are things I'm most certainly grateful for. I met the Frenchman while galavanting around the world. I've lived in nine cities in the last five years. I've lived in five different countries. I had a little French-German-Australian baby in Brighton. We are fortunate to have a roof over our heads, food our plates, and love for each other. But I'm bored. It seems as if we've been waiting for life to happen (due to circumstances in, and sometimes out, of our control) and since I believe we make our own fortunes, this lifestyle must change!

This year, we want to move, so when that happens, I am going to:
-- Start my Masters degree online (choosing between two - one that looks better on my resume because it is more broad, and another because it is in conjunction with a very prestigious school that has major bragging rights. I must decide soon - I'm thinking of #2)
-- Apply for a particular Patisserie course, held once weekly in the evenings. No baby sitter required that way. It won't be Le Cordon Bleu (who can afford that, anyway?!) but it will be the best way for me to get back into the game.
-- Learn more French so I can get a proper job, not just teach English for the rest of my life *insert vomit face*
-- Spend more time on my hobbies. Scrapbooking, cooking and baking, travelling are all important to me and I've missed them. Eventually I want to take up a sport (I'm leaning towards horse riding).
-- Leave the city once a month and go on day trips. Fruit picking and chateau tours come to mind.
-- Have date night and ship off the Little Sausage to her grandparents for one weekend a month. Going to the movies and a nice restaurant are on the agenda.
-- Walk and explore the city. You could probably live there a life time and still discover something new.

More news will follow when we have it. For now, we're still waiting... waiting... waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment