Tuesday, 17 April 2012

10 things about me


Since not much is happening around here, except for the continuous waiting, I thought I would share a list of ten things about me.

1. I have join-y ear lobes and am outnumbered by flappy earlobes in my family. My sister (a flappy) likes to mock me about this.

2. I burn my tongue really easy on hot foods and drinks. For example, I just burned my tongue on my hot chocolate. It's not particularly hot to the Frenchman. What's perfectly fine to most people burns the crap out of my tongue. Weird. 

3. My hair is so straight that hairdressers often ask how long it takes me to straighten my hair. When I tell them I don't, they're shocked and impressed. I've been playing around with the idea of perming my hair, because I think it looks too flat sometimes. 

4. Most people have difficulty picking my accent. South African currently takes the lead. I pick up accents quite easily and I absorb them. I have a mishmash of Australia, German, New Zealand, and British, with a twang of French thrown in thanks to the Frenchman.

5. I love clothes, makeup and fashion, yet I'm pretty conservative and mostly wear classic styles in neutral colours. I would probably be more adventurous if I could fit into smaller sizes. I'll be working on that. My makeup is minimal because I never wanted to draw too much attention to my bad skin. Since my skin is getting better, I've been a bit more heavy on the lips and eyes, which I love. Retro style makeup is my bag, baby.

6. I'm a bookworm and very pedantic about how I take care of my books. My books look new even after I've read them a few times. My sister, again, likes to tease me about this by pretending to rest her glass of water on top of the book I'm reading. She gets me even time! I'm now into e-books to save space on my book shelf, except for cook books. I will always get those in "physical" form.

7. I'm a really particular eater. For a person that loves food, I really am not that adventurous about it. Smoked salmon, caviar, offal, lamb, jelly, oysters, drinks in odd shaped bottles, and blue cheeses freak me out. So basically, what most people think of as the "good" stuff. Also, I'm not much of a fan of alcohol, except in cocktail form, and then only if it's the few ones I like and still makes me gag if it's too strong. I'm trying to train myself to like wine. The french family thinks I'm an oddity.

8. I grew up in my parents' bakery (from the age of two until I was nineteen) and thus am enamoured by bread. I love the stuff. I can tell just by looking or poking something baking in the oven if it's good or not, or when it's cut open and something's gone wrong. I'm a bit of a bread whisperer. 

9. While pregnant with the Little Sausage, I couldn't get enough cucumber or bell peppers (red or yellow especially). Nutella toast helped with morning sickness, and decaf coffee was my friend.

10. I love IKEA. I can just walk around it for hours. We have lunch in the cafeteria (not meatballs though - a nasty bout of gastro after eating them and other things when I was younger still makes me avoid them), and go through the store all over again, as long as it's not too busy. Some people hate IKEA, I don't know why. 


So that's it. Ten things, a few of them weird and silly, for you to get to know who this strange person is, in case you're interested. 

Hopefully, I'll have some positive news for you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment