Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Apple and Pecan Crumble


My sister came down from London to spend her weekend with us. Since she doesn't get much home cooking nowadays, I make sure I spoil her while she's here. Her favourite desserts include vanilla custard (or Creme Anglaise) so while looking through my unread copy of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Everyday, I found a recipe for Apple and Walnut Crumble which was begging for a nice drizzle of custard. After reading it cover to cover, I love this cook book. I would probably make 95% of the recipes in it (the remaining recipes I would adapt to suit my tastes as most of them are made with lamb and I would substitute another meat).

I tweaked the recipe a little, since I had half a packet of pecans waiting to be used up instead of walnuts, and I added coconut because I am a bit of a coconut fiend. I was able to whip this up very quickly and the pecans absolutely make this! I made individual servings and froze the leftover crumble in an airtight container. I now have crumble mixture ready to go any time I have the craving. 


Apple & Pecan Crumble
adapted from a recipe by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall from 'River Cottage Everyday' page 358.

Serves 8:

1.25kg cooking apples, peeled, cored, and finely sliced
50-100g caster sugar
Cinnamon, to taste

For the crumble:
225g Plain flour
A pinch of salt
200g cold unsalted butter, chopped roughly into cubes
150g brown sugar (light or dark, doesn't matter)
75g Oatmeal
75g Ground almonds
50g Desiccated coconut
100g Pecans

Preheat oven to 180ยบ Celsius. 

Put all the crumble ingredients into a large enough bowel and rub the butter into the dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles course crumbs (and everything has a bit of butter all over it). Leave aside for now. 

Toss cut apples with the cinnamon and sugar and spread in an even layer in your chosen baking dish.

Sprinkle with crumble mixture. Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes or so. 

Serve with custard, vanilla ice-cream or whipped cream and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment