Thursday, 6 October 2011

Irish Soda Bread


I'm on a (baking) roll!

The Little Sausage is being good to me, and napping nicely today. I like to watch River Cottage Everyday in the background, while I'm doing other stuff, and the Bread episode where they bake Irish Soda Bread caught my eye. Being on my to-do list for a while now, I knuckled down and got it made. It couldn't be more easy. I substituted wholemeal flour instead of white flour and it worked quite nicely. I could see this being eaten with a nice sharp cheddar and some chutney.


Irish Soda Bread
Adapted slightly from a recipe from 'River Cottage Everyday' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall

500g Wholemeal Flour
2 teapoons Baking soda
1.5 teaspoons Sea Salt
400mls Milk with one tablespoon white vinegar stirred in (or Buttermilk if you've got it) 
Extra flour for the tray

Preheat oven to 200ยบ celsius.























Combine the dry ingredients into a bowl (or the bowl of a mixer) and slowly add the milk until just combined. Turn out onto a floured bench and shape into a ball.

Place on a flat tray and bake for approximately 45 minutes until you tap the base and it sounds hollow.




It's as easy as that.

Serve while warm with salted butter. It would be great with jam too.



No comments:

Post a Comment