Sunday, 25 January 2009

Ben's Cookies = squishy yumminess



I stumbled across Ben's Cookies during a lunch break at their Covent Garden store while I was on my way to my favourite Jacket Potato guy at 'Dinner Jackets' - more on him and his spuds in another post. Looking for something sweet to finish with, I decided to give Ben and his cookies a whirl, as I happen to be a huge cookie fan and needed a bit of sugar to help me through the rest of the afternoon at work. 

The shop is tiny, just big enough to allow the cookie making/shaping/baking guy and the sales assistant room enough to move without banging into the oven. The cookie making/shaping/baking guy was scooping up tennis balls of cookie dough and dropped them onto sheets ready for baking. They spread a little while baking but still retain some of their bulk, allowing the baked cookie to keep some of the moistness and gooeyness on the inside. 


So, instead of getting just one of their massive cookie blobs, I got a 6 pack of Plain Chocolate Chunk, Double Chocolate Chunk, and Peanut Butter. Soft and gooey in the middle with a slightly crisp outside, these cookies are more like flat personal-sized cakes than conventional cookies. Suitable for under-baked cookie fans only, they sometimes verge on the point of raw cookie dough in the middle. Even though I am not usually a fan of undercooked foods, these weren't bad, and I actually enjoyed them a lot. 


One cookie is plenty for each person and they keep well (up to 4 days according to their website). I ate one at work and cut up the rest to share at home. Suffice it to say, we couldn't finish them and saved the rest for the next day, which were still moist and as fresh tasting as ever.

My personal favourite was the Plain Chocolate Chunk which was not too gooey in the middle and choc-a-block (pardon the pun) full of creamy dark chocolate chunks, just as the name implies. The flavours were nicely balanced and not too vanilla-y or chocolate-y. A nice choice if you want something to finish off a meal.


The cookies come nicely packaged in a little red box, each layer separated with wax paper meaning they won't stick together or damage each other before you get home. 

They might not be much to look at, but they sure do make up for it in taste and size. Plus, the guy serving me was friendly (a very rare thing in London!), so I will be back.

Where to find them:

Ben's Cookies
13a The Piazza, Covent Garden
London WC2E 8HH

Closest Tube stations: 
Covent Garden or Leicester Square

No comments:

Post a Comment